Definition of gene in English:
- Karma helps to imprint a code on the soul, similar to the genetic code on the genes.
- Nowadays, the phrase is extended to mean the ability to pass on one's genes to one's offspring.
- The condition is rare and is caused by the inheritance of an abnormal gene from an affected parent.
- Proteins encoded by the abnormal genes are then identified and their interactions studied by pathway analyses and probable functions deduced.
- The accessory gland protein-coding genes were isolated in such a way that favors overrepresentation of highly expressed genes.
- Each of these species contains opsin genes which are not expressed in the adult retina.
Early 20th century: from German Gen, from Pangen, a supposed ultimate unit of heredity (from Greek pan- 'all' + genos 'race, kind, offspring').
The word gene is from German Gen, from Pangen (from Greek pan- ‘all’ and genos ‘race, kind, offspring’), a supposed ultimate unit of heredity. Genetic (mid 19th century) started out meaning ‘arising from a common origin’: this is from genesis (Old English) ‘creation’, on the pattern of pairs such as antithesis and antithetic.
Words that rhyme with geneAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.