- A doctor based in the community who treats patients with minor or chronic illnesses and refers those with serious conditions to a hospital.More example sentences
- Patients in local hospitals owned by local communities are treated by general practitioners.
- Perth has numerous specialists in skin diagnosis to whom general practitioners could refer patients.
- This is usually done by either a gynaecologist, a general practitioner, or a nurse practitioner.
- More example sentences
- This was a prospective one year study of all consultations with general practitioners in 60 general practices in England and Wales.
- We obtained information on use of primary care services directly from the patients' general practices and district nurses.
- He worked in several hospital posts and in general practice before deciding on geriatrics.
More definitions of general practitionerDefinition of general practitioner in:
- The US English dictionary