- 1Produce or create: changes which are likely to generate controversy the income generated by the sale of council housesMore example sentences
cause, give rise to, lead to, result in, bring about, bring into being, create, make, produce, initiate, engender, spawn, sow the seeds of, occasion, effect, originate, bring to pass, bring on, precipitate, prompt, provoke, kindle, trigger, spark off, touch off, stir up, whip up, induce, inspire, promote, foster, conjure• rare effectuate
- Investing creates an asset that generates passive income such as rent on a property or profits from a business venture.
- The more Web savvy firms are more than twice as successful in generating sales and creating a better ‘customer experience’, said the report.
- It will also create jobs and generate income for the local economy.
- 1.1Produce (energy, especially electricity).More example sentences
- Solar energy is used to generate electricity through photovoltaic arrays, and to heat water by direct radiation.
- These oscillating sound waves in the traveling-wave engine drive the piston of a linear alternator that generates electricity.
- Electricity is generated by the power station during peak demand periods.
- 1.2 Mathematics & Linguistics Produce (a set or sequence of items) by performing specified mathematical or logical operations on an initial set.More example sentences
- All sequence data sets were generated using the evolver program.
- That is, the grid of initial guesses generates a set of ‘best fits’, one for each initial guess.
- The Fibonacci sequence is generated by adding the previous two numbers in the list together to form the next and so on and so on…
- 1.3 Linguistics Produce (a sentence or other unit, especially a well-formed one) by the application of a finite set of rules to lexical or other linguistic input.More example sentences
- In the typical application, a software program generates a phrase or sentence to be spoken by the computer.
- The sentences can be generated by the application of general rules for the combination of the words.
- To enhance our exemplar words and generate sentences to illustrate word meanings, we enlisted the support of the other participating teachers.
- 1.4 Mathematics Form (a line, surface, or solid) by notionally moving a point, line, or surface.More example sentences
- Proclus defines a spiric surface as being the surface generated by a circle revolving about a straight line called the axis of revolution and always remaining in the same plane as this axis.
- The concrete realisation uses the pseudosphere, a surface generated by the revolution of a tractrix about its asymptote.
- Once designers make 3D curves, these are used to generate surfaces.
early 16th century (in the sense 'beget, procreate'): from Latin generat- 'created', from the verb generare, from genus, gener- 'stock, race'.