Definition of generous in English:
- She was incredibly generous with her money, showering those she loved with gifts.
- Nothing wrong ever came of being generous with your money, and he had enough to share.
- He is generous with his time and money, and a principled and loyal friend.
- Those who wanted to attain success ought to be generous and well disposed towards others.
- We had a wonderful time and his family and friends were kind and generous toward me.
- To her family she was a loving, kind-hearted and generous mother and grandmother.
- Add a generous seasoning of Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and they're ready to serve.
- Add in the parsley, salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and toss.
- Sprinkle, as you go, with generous pinches of flaky sea salt and vigorous twists of freshly ground black pepper.
- Example sentences
- Think of the generousness with which he doles out close-ups to his co-stars.
- She liked to catch her employees unaware, and would fluctuate between uneconomical generousness and scrupulous economy, possibly just for that purpose.
- The films seem to get better on each repeated viewing, mainly because they have an almost throwaway generousness of ideas.
Late 16th century: via Old French from Latin generosus 'noble, magnanimous', from genus, gener- 'stock, race'. The original sense was 'of noble birth', hence 'characteristic of noble birth, courageous, magnanimous, not mean'.
Words that rhyme with generousmurmurous • sonorous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.