noun[mass noun] Biology
- The presence of unfavourable genetic material in the genes of a population.More example sentences
- Once this mating type dominates a population, it is very unlikely to break down even when the population becomes small because of the high genetic load it implies.
- In a large out-breeding population, genetic load will be maximised but because of the out-breeding pattern, the number of reproductively detective offspring will be low.
- Using interval mapping to dissect genetic load, research showed a prevalence of semilethal rather than lethal factors in two conifers.
More definitions of genetic loadDefinition of genetic load in:
- The US English dictionary