Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of genetic map in English:
A graphic representation of a chromosome including the position of its genes.
- It would later be established that there is a linear correspondence between the sequence of genes in the genetic maps and the dark and light bands in the polytene chromosomes of the salivary glands.
- The genetic map of this chromosome is characterized by several clusters of cosegregating markers that were partly split by inserted TBs.
- A genetic map showing the 16 chromosomes of yeast is diagrammed.
- genetic mapping noun
- Example sentences
- Our point is that genetic mapping is a significant example of a powerful scientific development that will fundamentally change the way people live, if they live, and how they live.
- In 1913, A.H. Sturtevant discovered that genes are arranged in linear fashion along chromosomes, establishing the basic principle of all subsequent genetic mapping.
- Genetic mapping is especially laborious and time consuming when mapping synthetic phenotypes or when the mutant phenotype is very subtle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.