1Friendly and cheerful: our genial host
More example sentences
- Food sources aside, the meal was a lot of fun, not least because of the genial company and the friendly service.
- The husband was a tall and genial fellow, friendly, youthful and easy-going.
- Every holiday I have, I come back to Shanghai, I find life here is so much easier, the people are so genial and friendly.
friendly, affable, cordial, congenial, amiable, warm, easy-going, approachable, sympathetic, well disposed, good-natured, good-humoured, cheerful, cheery, neighbourly, hospitable, companionable, comradely, bluff, easy to get along with;
sociable, convivial, outgoing, extrovert, extroverted, gregarious, company-loving, hail-fellow-well-met
informal chummy, pally
British informal matey
1.1 literary (Especially of air or climate) pleasantly mild and warm.
- He felt the students piled behind him surge out of the doors and walk around him hurriedly, as he stopped for a moment to breathe in the genial summer air.
- The sun shone with a genial warmth that added very materially to the enjoyment of the huge crowd.
- Example sentences
- As a journal profoundly identified with Hamilton's city, we have always taken a genially cosmopolitan view of people pursuing their own happiness in their own way.
- Our guide genially points out details while indicating that there is far more here than he can convey to visitors - that some mysteries have to remain unexplained.
- Between the tunes he chatted to the audience like friends, as well as genially encouraging those with instruments to come up and play with the band.