Definition of genip in English:
1The edible fruit of a tropical American tree.
- Some that may be new to you and worth trying are genip, soursop, sugar apple, figs, tamarind and sea grapes.
- A man holds up a bunch of genips, oval green fruits with skin like a clementine orange and flesh like a grape.
- As we munched on genips and slapped mosquitoes, we were entertained by numerous and colorful birds, which would make a bird-watcher cringe with envy.
2 (also genipap tree) Either of two tropical American trees which yield genips:
- ● (also guinep) A large spreading tree (Melicoccus bijugatus, family Sapindaceae). ● another term for genipapo
- Some seeds germinate; and if they are left alone, they will grow into a guinep tree that eventually bears fruit.
- The Turks & Caicos National Museum was originally called Guinep House after the large genipap tree in the front yard.
- Almost a hundred years later, the ingazeiros, the genipap trees and the trees of noble wood seen during the expeditions of the geographical commission have disappeared.
Mid 18th century: from American Spanish quenepo 'guinep tree', quenepa, denoting the fruit.
Definition of genip in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.