1 (also genoa jib) Sailing A large jib or foresail whose foot extends aft of the mast, used especially on racing yachts.
- The Swan 36 comes with a fully battened mainsail and roller furling genoa as standard equipment.
- I have seen others opt for a cutter-type arrangement leaving the small jib and adding a genoa.
- You will not win any popularity contests in your anchorage when (not if) the genoa unfurls in the middle of a storm.
2 (also Genoa cake) A rich fruit cake with almonds on top.
- Lighter cakes, made with less fruit, to be eaten at teatime or for snacks, include Genoa cake.
- John had put the coffee and Genoa cake on it, with little doilies.
- As usual, we shared our selection, a piece of apricot and almond sponge and a square of Genoa cake which was full of fruit.
Words that rhyme with genoasnowblower • lawnmower
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.