Definition of genome in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
1The haploid set of chromosomes in a gamete or microorganism, or in each cell of a multicellular organism.
- The two haploid genomes of the two gametes are then combined to constitute a new individual.
- No suppressor mutations were isolated from a screen of 104,000 haploid genomes.
- The gymnosperms are characterized by large genomes and relatively low chromosome numbers; polyploidy is rare.
1.1The complete set of genes or genetic material present in a cell or organism.
- The process is repeated using every gene within every genome as the starting gene.
- There are four types of changes that may affect the order of the genes on the bacterial genome.
- This number can be compared with the 40,000 genes thought to be present in the human genome.
Words that rhyme with genometoothcomb • gastronome
Definition of genome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.