Entry from US English dictionary
A style of painting depicting scenes from ordinary life, especially domestic situations. Genre painting is associated particularly with 17th-century Dutch and Flemish artists.
- Seventeenth-century Dutch still-life and genre painting, he argued, show an objective, disinterested, view of the most insignificant things.
- In a painting of a foreshortened, claustrophobic interior, a large man tends to his bedridden companion in an affecting scene that harks back to Dutch and German genre painting.
- Already in an ambitious 1881 genre painting of his own domestic life, Gauguin had recorded a pair of wooden shoes displayed on the parlor wall.
genre painter noun
- Example sentences
- Boilly established his reputation as a talented portraitist and genre painter at the Paris exhibitions from 1789 to 1824.
- Moreover, the genre painter, like the painter of still lifes, makes no judgments: he is interested, above all, in the objective contemplation of representative everyday life.
- Whereas the other genre painters who put more women in their work typically paint more children as well - more than twice as many as the European average - Vermeer has no children whatsoever in his interiors.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: gen·re paint·ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.