- 1Chivalrous, courteous, or honourable: his gentlemanly behaviourMore example sentences
chivalrous, gallant, honourable, noble, courtly, courteous, civil, respectful, polite, well mannered, well bred, well behaved, attentive, gracious; considerate, thoughtful, obliging, accommodating; cultivated, cultured, civilized, polished, refined, suave, urbane• dated mannerly• archaic gentle
- Other ballads generally portray him as a victim and romantic hero, and embody the legends of his gentlemanly conduct and chivalrous deeds.
- Geek guys seem like wholesome, responsible, potential breadwinners who will be polite, courteous and gentlemanly with someone's daughter on a date.
- He advised us almost constantly what was going on, and we were struck by his gentlemanly, courteous, informed, and considerate approach.
- 1.1Befitting a gentleman: a gentlemanly professionMore example sentences
- Skimpole expects a living from the world without actually earning it, either in the gentlemanly professions or in trade.
- It was a gentlemanly and dignified spectacle such as the game has seldom seen - not only that, it took real bravery as the risks to themselves and their families are very real.
- I contemplated forgoing the gloating and simply waving to the Beemer boys in a gentlemanly, dignified manner.
- More example sentences
- He was a man who has been acknowledged already for his gentlemanliness, his courtesy, and his wisdom.
- We heard over and over about Peck's impeccable gentlemanliness and old-school liberal decency, Hepburn's aristocratic east coast classiness, and Bob Hope's patriotism.
- Only the garish turquoise silk tie and the glint in his pale blue eyes detract from this picture of geriatric gentlemanliness.