noun (plural gentlewomen)• archaic
- A woman of noble birth or good social standing.More example sentences
- When she was informed of his identity, she countered that she was a gentlewoman of some birth herself, and introduced herself as Mlle. d' Aubigny, dite La Maupin.
- Her father had invited a couple hundred noblemen and gentlewomen to attend this grand feast, for that was where Sir Questing would propose to Desiree.
- Erasmus wrote many epistels to her, and dedicated his commentaries on certaine hymnes of Prudentius to this gentlewomen, and calleth her the flower of all learned matrones of England.
More definitions of gentlewomanDefinition of gentlewoman in:
- The US English dictionary