1A small cavity in rock lined with crystals or other mineral matter.
- Colorless quartz crystals lining geodes have also been found at approximately 300 feet below the trail at the South Overlook locality.
- Mordenite lines most of the geodes as the typical fine hairlike crystals of the species.
- One case has a selection of crystal-lined geodes, several filled with amethyst, from the Josini area of northern KwazuluNatal in South Africa.
1.1A rock containing a geode.
- ‘This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,’ exclaimed a collector from the Keokuk area who was working beside me splitting geodes out of shale.
- Two adjacent geodes from the same piece of shale could be cracked open, and one would be lined with brown calcite, the other with quartz.
- It's centered around this hill with all these geodes, and a stone archway at the top.
- Example sentences
- Open conduits and caverns, geodic sparite cement and other exotic minerals characterize this phase.
- Some preserve textures reminiscent of the drusy lining of geodic quartz and these textures are thought to be primary and contemporaneous with the hydrothermal alteration.
Late 17th century: via Latin from Greek geōdēs 'earthy', from gē 'earth'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: geode
Definition of geode in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.