Definition of geode in English:
1A small cavity in rock lined with crystals or other mineral matter.
- Colorless quartz crystals lining geodes have also been found at approximately 300 feet below the trail at the South Overlook locality.
- Mordenite lines most of the geodes as the typical fine hairlike crystals of the species.
- One case has a selection of crystal-lined geodes, several filled with amethyst, from the Josini area of northern KwazuluNatal in South Africa.
1.1A rock containing a geode.
- ‘This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,’ exclaimed a collector from the Keokuk area who was working beside me splitting geodes out of shale.
- Two adjacent geodes from the same piece of shale could be cracked open, and one would be lined with brown calcite, the other with quartz.
- It's centered around this hill with all these geodes, and a stone archway at the top.
- Example sentences
- Open conduits and caverns, geodic sparite cement and other exotic minerals characterize this phase.
- Some preserve textures reminiscent of the drusy lining of geodic quartz and these textures are thought to be primary and contemporaneous with the hydrothermal alteration.
Definition of geode in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia