- 1Relating to or denoting the shortest possible line between two points on a sphere or other curved surface.More example sentences
- A formula for the line integral of the geodesic curvature along a closed curve is known as the Gauss Bonnet theorem.
- He introduced the geodesic curvature although he did not use the term which was due to Bonnet who discovered it independently in 1848.
- He solved a problem posed by Beltrami of representing one surface on a second surface in such a way that geodesic lines in the first correspond to geodesic lines in the second.
- 1.1(Of a dome or other structure) constructed from struts which follow geodesic lines and typically form an open framework of triangles and polygons.More example sentences
- Epcot opened in 1982 at Walt Disney World in Florida with the ‘Spaceship Earth’ attraction in the first completely spherical geodesic structure.
- The tumultuous morass of geodesic structures is cobbled together from aluminum poles, plastic bags, bed sheets, and rope.
- Like a geodesic structure, an increase in the number of nodes should lead to increased stability and strength of the whole system.
- 2 another term for geodetic.
nounBack to top
- A geodesic line or structure.More example sentences
- It possesses shortest lines, now called geodesics, which resemble ordinary straight lines.
- This reminded me of an interesting property of geodesics in general relativity.
- When this happens, the necessary conditions for the existence and uniqueness of these geodesics are violated.
More definitions of geodesicDefinition of geodesic in:
- The US English dictionary