Definition of geodesy in English:
The branch of mathematics dealing with the shape and area of the earth or large portions of it.
- He set up a new curriculum for applied mathematics at the university which spread over six semesters and included applications of mathematics to astronomy, geodesy and technology.
- In the field of geodesy, however, Eratosthenes will always be remembered for his measurements of the Earth.
- He proposed the method of triangulation and this work is the foundation of geodesy.
- Example sentences
- Triangulation, first proposed by the sixteenth-century Dutch geodesist Gemma Frisius, was until the development of satellite geodesy the main method by which regional geodetic networks were measured.
- The earthquake at Koyna, with a magnitude of 6.9 on the Richter scale, contradicted this belief and evoked interest on the part of geologists, geodesists, dam experts, and engineers.
- Until now, GPS has been primarily the preserve of those who know what they're doing - the surveyors, navigators, geodesists, and cartographers.
Definition of geodesy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan