The branch of mathematics dealing with the shape and area of the earth or large portions of it.
More example sentences
- He set up a new curriculum for applied mathematics at the university which spread over six semesters and included applications of mathematics to astronomy, geodesy and technology.
- In the field of geodesy, however, Eratosthenes will always be remembered for his measurements of the Earth.
- He proposed the method of triangulation and this work is the foundation of geodesy.
- More example sentences
- Triangulation, first proposed by the sixteenth-century Dutch geodesist Gemma Frisius, was until the development of satellite geodesy the main method by which regional geodetic networks were measured.
- The earthquake at Koyna, with a magnitude of 6.9 on the Richter scale, contradicted this belief and evoked interest on the part of geologists, geodesists, dam experts, and engineers.
- Until now, GPS has been primarily the preserve of those who know what they're doing - the surveyors, navigators, geodesists, and cartographers.
Definition of geodesy in:
- The US English dictionary