Definition of geodesy in English:
The branch of mathematics dealing with the shape and area of the earth or large portions of it.
- He set up a new curriculum for applied mathematics at the university which spread over six semesters and included applications of mathematics to astronomy, geodesy and technology.
- In the field of geodesy, however, Eratosthenes will always be remembered for his measurements of the Earth.
- He proposed the method of triangulation and this work is the foundation of geodesy.
- geodesist noun
- Example sentences
- Triangulation, first proposed by the sixteenth-century Dutch geodesist Gemma Frisius, was until the development of satellite geodesy the main method by which regional geodetic networks were measured.
- The earthquake at Koyna, with a magnitude of 6.9 on the Richter scale, contradicted this belief and evoked interest on the part of geologists, geodesists, dam experts, and engineers.
- Until now, GPS has been primarily the preserve of those who know what they're doing - the surveyors, navigators, geodesists, and cartographers.
Late 16th century: from modern Latin geodaesia, from Greek geōdaisia, from gē 'earth' + daiein 'divide'.
Definition of geodesy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.