1The science which deals with the physical structure and substance of the earth, their history, and the processes which act on them.
- Physical sciences, particularly earth sciences such as geology and hydrology, are popular subjects for study and research in Oman's university.
- The country has produced important work in biology, medicine, geology, mathematics, physics, genetics, psychology, and anthropology.
- John, who left school at 16, learned in early March that he would receive his BSc degree in geology and earth sciences just a month before 25-year-old Alyson's own graduation.
1.1The geological features of a district: the geology of the Outer Hebrides
More example sentences
- I have tried to cover the basic geology and mineralogy of the district and hit a few of the district's highlights.
- Some of this stems from a poor understanding of wetland geology and what wetland landforms are.
- The details of regional geology together with extensional folds in the Alasehir graben are enough to refute a short lived contractional tectonics in late Miocene to Pliocene in western Turkey.
1.2The geological features of a planetary body: an article on the Moon’s geology
More example sentences
- The seven science instruments on the piano-sized probe would shed light on the bodies' surface properties, geology, interior makeup and atmospheres.
- Paper-based fieldwork methods have made fundamental contributions to our current state of knowledge of the Earth's surface and subsurface geology.
- These use remote sensing and instruments that can scratch away surfaces to analyse the geology of the Red Planet.
(also geologise) verb
- Example sentences
- It was the only day on Scott's final arduous march homewards from the pole that they were to devote to ‘geologizing.’
- The problem of doing on-the-spot lunar geologising in an efficient way awaited the electric Rover.
- It's great to finally be working back in Appalachia after 25 years of geologizing in so many other parts of the world.
Late 18th century: from modern Latin geologia, from Greek gē 'earth' + -logia (see -logy).
Definition of geology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.