1Relating to geometry, or according to its methods.
- This is a remarkable mathematical theory combining powerful algebraic and geometric methods.
- In the next 2000 years no one found an exact geometric method for 7-gons or 9-gons but also no one had proved it was impossible to construct such regular polygons.
- Methods for precise geometric descriptions, necessary for visualization, were formulated later.
2Characterized by or decorated with regular lines and shapes: a geometric pattern
More example sentences
- These tiles are characterized by slender lines, geometric shapes, or more free-form patterns.
- Libyan artisans use intricate lines and geometric shapes in their carpets, embroidered goods, jewelry, leather goods, tiles, and pottery.
- My newer ties are splashier, with brightly colored splotches, wildly zigzagging lines, and unusual geometric shapes.
2.1 (Geometric) Archaeology Relating to or denoting a period of Greek culture (around 900–700 bc) characterized by geometrically decorated pottery.
- This area along the north slope of the Areiopagos was one of the richest cemeteries of early Athens, in continuous use from the Mycenaean period well into the Geometric era.
- This tradition has its roots in the Protogeometric and Geometric periods and perhaps continues into Classical and Hellenistic times at Lato.
- The horse's head, with a cropped mane that recalls artifacts from ancient Greece's Geometric period, is also gilt, and it is considerably more detailed than the body.
A geometric pattern.
- For example, she replaces bold geometrics with abstracted natural patterns in floor-coverings and uses branch-like forms overhead to make ceilings reminiscent of tree canopies.
- In quilting, geometrics have traditionally imposed the formats, the patterns.
- ‘When we overlay, we look at all the geometrics of the highway,’ Lemire said.
- Example sentences
- I can't be geometrically accurate about that, but there are proportions that are comfortable and proportions that aren't, and the ceiling height is an important part.
- He thought it would be ineffective because he had formulated the hypothesis that population increases geometrically while food supplies increase arithmetically.
- The streets are laid out geometrically and the blocks filled with enormous buildings, some of brick and some of fabricated steel.
Words that rhyme with geometricanthropometric, asymmetric, diametric, isometric, kilometric, metric, obstetric, psychometric, pyrometric, sociometric
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: geo|met¦ric
Definition of geometric in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.