(also geometric isomer)
Definition of geometrical isomer in English:
Each of two or more compounds which differ from each other in the arrangement of groups with respect to a double bond, ring, or other rigid structure.
- He used the theory to predict the existence of geometric isomers, two forms of a compound that differ from each other only in the position of a single atom, ion, or group of atoms.
- CLA is a mixture of positional and geometric isomers of linoleic acid and has been reported to inhibit various chemical-induced cancers in rodent models.
- The naming of geometrical isomers reflects the position of the atoms or groups on each of the carbon atoms in the double bond.
geometrical isomerism noun
- Example sentences
- Due to geometrical isomerism, two forms of polyethyne are produced: cis-polyethyne and trans-polyethyne.
- If there are two different attachments on each side of the double bond then geometrical isomerism results.
- Most cases of geometric isomerism are a result of molecule rigidity which prevents rotation about a double bond.
Definition of geometrical isomer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan