Definition of geometry in English:
noun (plural geometries)[mass noun]
1The branch of mathematics concerned with the properties and relations of points, lines, surfaces, solids, and higher dimensional analogues.
- By spherical geometry, we mean geometry on the surface of a sphere, where the great circles are taken as lines.
- As analysis began to mix inextricably with geometry and the other branches of mathematics, the curiosities multiplied.
- A notable feature of advanced mathematics is that much of it is concerned with geometry in more than three dimensions.
1.1 [count noun] A particular system of geometry: non-Euclidean geometries
More example sentences
- He also realised that there were an infinite number of non-euclidean geometries and this, Taurinus claimed, was highly significant.
- The trend toward trophic specialization is also correlated with stereotyped geometries in the locomotor system.
- The same issues apply more generally to other photonic crystal systems in non-fiber geometries.
1.2 [in singular] The shape and relative arrangement of the parts of something: the geometry of spiders' webs
More example sentences
- Perhaps this intimate knowledge of the geometry of letterforms is why even today so many architects are partial to Futura.
- Modern artists long ago discovered and assimilated the geometry, line and shapes of African sculpture.
- At the same time, anatomical data that include the torso geometry and the shape and location of the heart are obtained via a CT scan.
- Example sentences
- After some compliments to the university, he proceeded to the original and progress of geometry, and gave an account of the most celebrated of the ancient and modern geometricians.
- The great geometrician Euclid, before demonstrating to us the various propositions contained in his Elements of Geometry, requires that we should be able to effect certain processes.
- A learned and ingenious geometrician, he investigated and illustrated the laws of compound circular motion.
Definition of geometry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan