plural noun[treated as singular]
The physics of the earth.
- By 1960, a discrete version of these equations was being extensively used in electrical engineering and geophysics, their use continuing until the present day.
- Most crustal rocks of interest to exploration geophysics are either inherently anisotropic or behave as anisotropic materials when sampled by seismic waves.
- The extremely deep investigations of Tikhonov into a number of general problems in mathematical physics grew out of his interest in geophysics and electrodynamics.
- Example sentences
- Geologists and geophysicists aim to accurately constrain the architecture and facies variations at the lava flow scale.
- The Pacific plate is grinding counterclockwise to the North American plate, the chief geophysicist for the Oklahoma Geologic Survey said.
- Like bats using echolocation to navigate through the night, geophysicists rely on seismic waves for information on the Earth's deep interior.
Definition of geophysics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.