Definition of geyser in English:
1A hot spring in which water intermittently boils, sending a tall column of water and steam into the air.
- Precious metals are commonly precipitated with the siliceous sinters that form around hot springs and geysers.
- Rainwater in volcanic areas can descend as far as several kilometres into the crust, later rising to the surface in hot springs or geysers.
- Specialized microorganisms called extremophiles thrive in nuclear waste, volcanic vents, boiling geothermal geysers and even deep inside rocks.
1.1A jet or stream of liquid: the pipe sent up a geyser of sewer water into the street
More example sentences
- The center of the platform began to open like an iris and a geyser of flame spewed forth, engulfing its first breath of air.
- A geyser of lava spouted between them and Seth attacked, charging through the lava like it was water, an unstoppable locomotive of power.
- This second album erupts like a geyser of molten lava from your speakers.
2.1South African A hot-water storage tank with an electric heating element.
- The geyser, which is said to be one of the highest contributors of high electrical bills, is only switched on in the morning.
- Exacerbating these problems is the issue of individual geysers and water meters, allowing tenants to be individually billed for their consumption.
- I heard of one absentee apartment, where a faulty geyser ran water for 6 months before being noticed.
verb[no object, with adverbial of direction] Back to top
(Especially of water or steam) gush or burst out with great force: a fissure opened and yellow smoke geysered upward
More example sentences
- Shouts and yells and crashes filled the air, ten times louder than in the hall, and it was difficult to see some places because of all the hissing steam, geysering up from spouts and funnels and pots.
late 18th century: from Icelandic Geysir, the name of a particular spring in Iceland; related to geysa 'to gush'.
Definition of geyser in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan