A very large salamander that is native to North America and eastern Asia, in particular:
- ● A permanently aquatic salamander (three species in the family Cryptobranchidae), e.g. the American hellbender. ● A terrestrial salamander (three species in the family Dicamptodontidae), of western North America.
More example sentences
- The closest relative of the Japanese and Chinese giant salamanders is the hellbender of the eastern U.S.
- The earliest ones looked like giant salamanders, measuring about four feet long, Hedges said.
- You can even see deer, giant salamanders and goats, if lucky.
Definition of giant salamander in:
- The US English dictionary