A very large tortoise with a long lifespan, occurring on several tropical oceanic islands.
- Genus Geochelone, family Testudinidae: G. nigra (Galapagos Islands) and G. gigantea (Aldabra and the Seychelles)
More example sentences
- This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.
- Darwin also learned that locals could tell from which islands giant tortoises had come by the shapes of the reptiles' shells.
- The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.
Definition of giant tortoise in:
- The US English dictionary