- A very large tortoise with a long lifespan, occurring on several tropical oceanic islands.
More example sentences
- Genus Geochelone, family Testudinidae: G. nigra (Galapagos Islands) and G. gigantea (Aldabra and the Seychelles)
- This past year, I decided to return to the Galapagos for an intense four-month photo session among old friends such as giant tortoises, marine iguanas, and blue-footed boobies.
- Darwin also learned that locals could tell from which islands giant tortoises had come by the shapes of the reptiles' shells.
- The third aquarium would house more than 50 species of freshwater sharks and rays, as well as enclosures for Komodo dragons and giant tortoises.
More definitions of giant tortoiseDefinition of giant tortoise in:
- The US English dictionary