A small, slender tree-dwelling ape with long powerful arms and loud hooting calls, native to the forests of SE Asia.
- Family Hylobatidae and genus Hylobates: several species
More example sentences
- Those species were chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon, macaque and owl monkey.
- Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).
- Only five percent of mammals are thought to be socially monogamous, including gibbons, jackals, and tamarins.
late 18th century: from French, from an Indian dialect word.
Definition of gibbon in:
- The US English dictionary