1chiefly Biology Unusual or abnormal largeness.
- The dodo of Mauritius (a giant pigeon) is a famous example of island gigantism.
- Such gigantism usually leads to some form of extinction.
- In 1992 I visited the island of Komodo - home of the Komodo dragon - to study gigantism among reptiles.
1.1 Medicine Excessive growth due to hormonal imbalance.
- He published 400 papers, many of major importance, on subjects as diverse as acromegaly, Cushing's syndrome, gigantism, the effects of prolonged fasting, diabetes, and the hormone aldosterone.
- A minority of patients have gigantism / acromegaly with elevated levels of prolactin and growth hormone.
- Interest in dwarfism, gigantism, and acromegaly has spanned the centuries; literature, especially for children, is filled with stories about dwarfs and giants, while Old Testament writings have several descriptions of giants.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gi¦gant|ism
Definition of gigantism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.