A fishing net which is hung vertically so that fish get trapped in it by their gills.
More example sentences
- Speaking as a former bailiff in the region, I can assure you that many island crofters prefer the use of a gill net to a fishing rod.
- The monofilament gill net is an unforgiving device, designed to snag and tear the gills.
- The main focus of most efforts to restrict gear is the gill net, considered to be the main cause of the depletion of local fisheries.
- More example sentences
- He stated that he saw an 800 lb blue marlin in the fish-market in Dublin sometime in the mid 1980's when the Spanish and French gill-netters were hard at work off the Porcupine bank, south-west of Ireland.
- Government agencies are reportedly subsidizing gill-netters to remove the fish and pushing regulations that require anglers to keep and kill any bass they land.
- Over the last decade or so, an estimated 100,000 turtles have died on the Orissa coast, caught in the nets of trawlers and gill-netters that continue to illegally ply the waters during the nesting season.
Definition of gill net in:
- The US English dictionary