Definition of gilt-edged in English:
1(Especially of paper or a book) having a gilded edge or edges.
- Embroidery lay abandoned on a round table along with a book, three gilt-edged porcelain cups still containing tea, and a teapot.
- The wedding bill will include gilt-edged invites, $300,000 floral displays and a 10-tier cake costing $10,000.
- Small black-and-white photos accent walls dominated by two gilt-edged mirrors.
1.1Relating to or denoting stocks or securities (such as gilts) that are regarded as extremely reliable investments.
- This means more investment in long-dated gilt-edged stock for the greater certainty of returns, and less in volatile equities.
- But there is another outcome that some in the market cannot discount, and which has caused the recent flurry of interest in inflation-linked gilt-edged stock.
- Even the largest gilt-edged issues were only a quarter of this size.
Definition of gilt-edged in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan