Definition of gimlet in English:
1A small T-shaped tool with a screw tip for boring holes.
- The three small lead weights, a long chalk line reel, and two ash handles thought to be gimlets (small boring tools) are the only objects associated with carpentry that were found in the chest.
- After insertion to the shoulder, the gimlet would be unscrewed a few turns to allow the liquid to flow out, then screwed back into the barrel to stop the flow.
- At a later date, a special steel gimlet was sometimes provided to penetrate the more modern tin cap in situ.
2A cocktail of gin (or sometimes vodka) and lime juice.
- We sat at the bar, and the guy behind it knew April by name, and gave her the usual, a vodka gimlet.
- The lawyer always drank three vodka gimlets on the way to Chicago and three scotch and sodas returning to New York.
- I would especially recommend the mojito and the vodka gimlet - delicious!
Definition of gimlet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan