(also guimp or gymp)
- 1 [mass noun] Twisted silk, worsted, or cotton with cord or wire running through it, used chiefly as upholstery trimming.More example sentences
- To stabilize a buttonhole, cord it with buttonhole twist, gimp or elastic thread.
- They reproduced on a handloom the intricate silk gimps, braids, and tassels needed for the Swan suite.
- 1.1(In lacemaking) coarser thread which forms the outline of the design in some techniques.More example sentences
- Use gimp - zigzag stitched in place - to frame it.
mid 17th century: from Dutch, of unknown ultimate origin.
North American • informal , • derogatory
- 1A physically disabled or lame person.More example sentences
- He just found the smallest skateboard he could and stuck it down the back of his right pant leg and proceeded to hobble out of the store as if he were a child gimp.
- I was having twinges of it before, but yesterday during my overnight shift it was a lot worse - I was hobbling around like a gimp for most of the night.
- The bill isn't about avoiding obviously and egregiously offensive terminology like gimp and crip.
- 1.1A limp.More example sentences
- He walked with a strange gimp and carried a cane with him for stability.
- I was with the army a few years back, but had to leave due to a gimp in my leg.
- Well, Kelly the Pooch was back on all fours despite a gimp in one of his hind legs.
- 2A feeble or contemptible person.More example sentences
- ‘You need to be firmer with them,’ she said, ‘you silly spineless gimp.’
- I just don't know who to feel sorrier for - the author, or the poor gimps who think it's worth responding to.
- I hate that smirking, gormless gimp and his inane, clueless questioning.
verb[no object, with adverbial of direction] Back to top
- Limp; hobble: I gimped over to the doorMore example sentences
- I had suffered a high ankle sprain near the end of the regular season, and I was really gimping around in the championship game.
- I frowned as he gimped onto the bus; that leg was a mystery.
- Sam gimped over to the table, shutting the top of his monitor with a click before picking it back up and hobbling back to settle next to Jackson.
- More example sentences
- Indeed, one character disintegrates so precipitously that what began as a ambling character sketch ends as a farce with a gimpy leg.
- He is struggling with a gimpy knee that probably will need offseason surgery, and he has almost as many drops as catches.
- He's all tall and gimpy and has a fast-receding hairline.
1920s: of unknown origin.