- In a careful or cautious manner: Jackson sat down very gingerlyMore example sentences
cautiously, carefully, with caution, with care, circumspectly, delicately, warily, charily, guardedly, prudently, judiciously, on one's guard, on the alert, on the lookout, on the qui vive, suspiciously, attentively, heedfully, watchfully, vigilantly, observantly, alertly, cannily; hesitantly, timidly, timorously
- He jumped as flames licked his tail and sprinted gingerly away, careful to avoid more pain.
- When he returns I'm sitting gingerly in the corner of the very small dance floor.
- Nicky returned from washing his hands and sat gingerly on the edge of the sofa.
adjectiveBack to top
- More example sentences
- After some cautious prodding I put some weight on it, checked that the muscles worked both ways and limped downstairs, exploring the outer limits of gingerliness.
- But nonetheless you couldn't escape the general gingerliness of the show, the forced politeness of the proceedings.
- For the past 10 years he has lived with his family in New York, and a reader senses in his rather elaborate approach a gingerliness about going back.
early 16th century (in the sense 'daintily, mincingly'): perhaps from Old French gensor 'delicate', comparative of gent 'graceful', from Latin genitus '(well-) born'.