noun (plural ginkgos or ginkgoes)
- A deciduous Chinese tree related to the conifers, with fan-shaped leaves and yellow flowers. It has a number of primitive features and is similar to some Jurassic fossils. Also called maidenhair tree.
More example sentences
- Ginkgo biloba, the only living member of the family Ginkgoaceae and order Ginkgoales, class Coniferopsida
- Investigators have suggested that these fossils represent new growth from cycads, deciduous trees, ginkgos and, most commonly, conifer trees.
- On land, the vegetation generally consisted of conifers, cycads, ginkgos, ferns and horsetails.
- Plant life consisted mainly of ferns and seed-ferns, with new plants like conifers and ginkgos coming into prominence.
late 18th century: from Japanese ginkyō, from Chinese yínxìng.
More definitions of ginkgoDefinition of ginkgo in:
- The US English dictionary