Definition of give someone the bird in English:
1British informal Boo or jeer at someone.
- And while mobile phone tunes may already give you the bird, it could be worse, South suggests.
- I have an aversion to sites which literally give you the bird on the front page, so I didn't linger.
- A guy misses a match - for his own reasons no doubt, that is not a justification to give him the bird.
1.1North American another way of saying flip someone the bird .
- Ever since I graduated, in 1977, people have never tired of giving me the bird.
- I smiled to myself as I watched her start spluttering and yelling after the car and giving him the bird.
- Residents and shoppers in Rayleigh have been given the bird after council plans to try and deter pigeons from the town centre were abandoned.
Definition of give someone the bird in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia