noun[mass noun] Geology
- 1The process or state of being covered by glaciers or ice sheets.More example sentences
- These hydrogeological conditions are controlled by relative land and sea level, erosion and deposition, the cold climate processes of permafrost and glaciation, and rock stress changes.
- In Illinois, levels of diversity drop precipitously, most likely reflecting one or more genetic bottlenecks in areas that were once covered by the Wisconsin glaciation.
- Geologically young, the Rockies exhibit faulting, glaciation, and volcanism, resulting in rugged, spectacularly scenic terrain.
- 1.1 [count noun] A glacial period.More example sentences
- Their study by others led to the discovery of multiple glaciations, separated by interglacial periods.
- No polar glaciations are known during the Late Permian.
- Minor glaciations may also have taken place in the earlier Ordovician early Silurian and late Devonian.
More definitions of glaciationDefinition of glaciation in:
- The US English dictionary