noun[mass noun] Geology
1The process or state of being covered by glaciers or ice sheets.
- These hydrogeological conditions are controlled by relative land and sea level, erosion and deposition, the cold climate processes of permafrost and glaciation, and rock stress changes.
- In Illinois, levels of diversity drop precipitously, most likely reflecting one or more genetic bottlenecks in areas that were once covered by the Wisconsin glaciation.
- Geologically young, the Rockies exhibit faulting, glaciation, and volcanism, resulting in rugged, spectacularly scenic terrain.
1.1 [count noun] A glacial period.
- Their study by others led to the discovery of multiple glaciations, separated by interglacial periods.
- No polar glaciations are known during the Late Permian.
- Minor glaciations may also have taken place in the earlier Ordovician early Silurian and late Devonian.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gla¦ci|ation
Definition of glaciation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.