- A slowly moving mass or river of ice formed by the accumulation and compaction of snow on mountains or near the poles.More example sentences
- Above us, waterfalls tumbled down the mountainside from glaciers that hung over the lip of high cols.
- They had to cross the mountains, glaciers and snowfields to reach the whaling station on the other side.
- Nowhere in the world would one find such a high concentration of huge mountains, peaks, glaciers and passes.
mid 18th century: from French, from glace 'ice', based on Latin glacies.
More definitions of glacierDefinition of glacier in:
- The US English dictionary