Definition of glancing in English:
Striking someone or something at an angle rather than directly and with full force: he was struck a glancing blow
More example sentences
- She fires four more shots: two direct hits, two glancing blows.
- I saw him take a step back, angling his body so the next left would be a glancing blow, and not effect him as much, and it would bring my body close to his as I over extended my arm.
- The student tried to avoid the drunken man but suffered a glancing blow: ‘I was uninjured but a little shaken by the experience.’
- 1glancingly adverb
- Example sentences
- Drugs, only glancingly alluded to in print, are here so prevalent that everyone is up to their hips in ‘naughty salt’.
- The Germans, not long arrived in the town, permitted the action, but they neither participated nor interfered, and it appears only glancingly in their records.
- I'm ill-equipped to argue the point, but I will glancingly address it by saying that I feel that there is value in capitalism as well as democracy.
Definition of glancing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.