1An organ in the human or animal body which secretes particular chemical substances for use in the body or for discharge into the surroundings.
- It releases stimulating hormones that signal the thyroid gland, adrenal glands, ovaries and testes, directing them to produce their respective hormones.
- A CT scan, however, reveals these bones and organs as well as your pancreas, adrenal glands, ureters and blood vessels - all with a higher degree of precision.
- Hypoplasia of other organs, such as the adrenal glands, kidney, pituitary gland, and thymus, may also be attributed to tetraploidy.
1.1A structure resembling a gland, especially a lymph node: symptoms include swollen glands
More example sentences
- Mumps is caused by a virus and symptoms include swollen glands, pain when chewing and fever.
- Other symptoms might include swollen glands, fever, recurring sore throat, memory impairment and/or sleep problems.
- ‘My father had experienced flu-like symptoms and swollen glands for a while before diagnosis,’ Rob recalled.
1.2 Botany A secreting cell or group of cells on or within a plant structure.
- The latter often produce copious secretions to the plant surface, outside the cuticle, or stored within glands.
- The report states that nectar glands occur only within the genus Eriocaulon.
- The family is characterized by various kinds of sclereids, hypophyllous glands and specific nectary bracts.
Words that rhyme with glandand, band, bland, brand, expand, firsthand, grand, hand, land, manned, misunderstand, offhand, rand, righthand, Samarkand, sand, stand, strand, thirdhand, underhand, undermanned, understand, unplanned, untanned, withstand
A sleeve used to produce a seal round a piston rod or other shaft.
- Engine access, for such routine maintenance as changing the oil filter or adjusting the packing gland on the shaft, is poor.
- The major disadvantage is that the packing gland is beneath the engine and transmission, making service and alignment more difficult.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.