A widely distributed salt-marsh plant with fleshy scale-like leaves. The ashes of the burnt plant were formerly used in glass-making.
- Genus Salicornia, family Chenopodiaceae: several species
More example sentences
- It would have been a great convenience if everyone had agreed long ago to call marsh samphire by its alternative name glasswort (given because it used to be burned to provide alkali for glass-makers).
- Finally, I drove eastwards towards Sheppey, past Funton Creek, where reptilian glasswort plants replenish seed-stocks for hungry wildfowl, to Bedlam's Bottom to enjoy a glowing sunset.
- Salicornes (glasswort in English) are these wild little plants that grow in salt marshes.
Definition of glasswort in:
- The US English dictionary