noun (plural glomeruli /-lʌɪ, -liː/)Anatomy & Biology
A cluster of nerve endings, spores, or small blood vessels, especially a cluster of capillaries around the end of a kidney tubule.
More example sentences
- In the kidney, the glomeruli show thickened capillary walls and endothelial swelling.
- The neoplastic cells surrounded glomeruli and invaded renal tubules forming lymphoepithelial lesions.
- Fairly well differentiated renal tissue with embryonic glomeruli and tubules.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, diminutive of Latin glomus, glomer- 'ball of thread'.
- More example sentences
- By light microscopy, glomeruli showed glomerular basement membrane thickening.
- This force drives plasma from the glomerular capillaries into the nephrons.
- Jones silver stains highlighted the basement membrane spikes in some, but not all, glomerular capillaries.
Definition of glomerulus in:
- The US English dictionary