noun (plural glomeruli /ɡlɒˈmɛr(j)ʊlʌɪ/ /ɡlɒˈmɛr(j)ʊliː/)Anatomy & Biology
A cluster of nerve endings, spores, or small blood vessels, especially a cluster of capillaries around the end of a kidney tubule.
- In the kidney, the glomeruli show thickened capillary walls and endothelial swelling.
- The neoplastic cells surrounded glomeruli and invaded renal tubules forming lymphoepithelial lesions.
- Fairly well differentiated renal tissue with embryonic glomeruli and tubules.
- Example sentences
- By light microscopy, glomeruli showed glomerular basement membrane thickening.
- This force drives plasma from the glomerular capillaries into the nephrons.
- Jones silver stains highlighted the basement membrane spikes in some, but not all, glomerular capillaries.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: glom¦eru¦lus
Definition of glomerulus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.