adjective (gloomier, gloomiest)
- 1Dark or poorly lit, especially so as to appear depressing or frightening: a gloomy corridor badly lit by oil lampsMore example sentences
dark, ill-lit, poorly lit, shadowy, sunless, dim, sombre, dingy, frowzy, drab, dismal, dreary, murky, depressing, unwelcoming, uninviting, cheerless, joyless, comfortless, funereal; grey, leaden, overcast, cloudy
- The limo windows were tinted, making it appear dark and gloomy outside.
- She thought of Mae to grant her some more confidence, as she approached the last door in the dark and gloomy corridor.
- The supernatural thriller takes place in the gloomy, dark dismal backwoods outside New Orleans.
- 2Causing or feeling depression or despondency: gloomy forecasts about the economyMore example sentences
despondent, downcast, downhearted, dejected, disconsolate, dispirited, crestfallen, cast down, depressed, disappointed, disheartened, discouraged, demoralized, desolate, heavy-hearted, in low spirits, low-spirited, sad, unhappy, glum, full of gloom, doleful, melancholy, miserable, woebegone, mournful, sorrowful, forlorn, long-faced, fed up, in the doldrums, subdued, wretched, lugubrious, Eeyorish, morose, sepulchral, saturnine, dour, mirthless, woeful• literary dolorouspessimistic, depressing, downbeat, looking on the black side, disheartening, disappointing, dispiriting, unpromising, unfavourable, bleak, bad, dark, black, sombre, melancholy, saddening, distressing, grim, cheerless, comfortless, hopeless
- It cast a gloomy atmosphere around the station, which did not enhance her mood.
- Yet fewer still are - in private - able to hide their sense of gloomy despondency.
- So it is with the man himself: an essential sweetness of nature pickled in a brine of gloomy despondency.
- More example sentences
- And once it had become clear that her every question about my school would be answered gloomily, she stopped asking.
- Publishers mutter gloomily that while there are a huge number of children's books out there, there hasn't actually been a rise in the number of authors selling books.
- So how disappointing, how gloomily predictable, that the proposed new footbridge is being greeted with the usual grumbling hostility.
- More example sentences
- It's easy to make a movie that looks dark without having any darkness to it, but this is a film with a core gloominess and sadness and danger that feels real.
- These past days I had felt fine - despite the gloominess and pessimism - and hadn't felt sorry for anyone but myself.
- Aerobic exercise can ease the gloominess of depression and the tension associated with anxiety.