nounchiefly • historical
- A person who writes glosses, especially a scholarly commentator on the texts of classical, civil, or canon law.More example sentences
- The only sort of training I had as any kind of exegete or glossator was being taught for A-level how to read Shakespeare, Milton and Dickens.
- Nicander is a gifted Homeric glossator, but he is neither zoologist nor toxicologist.
- The examination of the glosses in this codex reveals that the student glossators of this work engaged in a dialectical relationship about how to approach this medieval textbook.
late Middle English: from medieval Latin, from glossare, from Latin glossa (see gloss2).
More definitions of glossatorDefinition of glossator in:
- The US English dictionary