Definition of glossolalia in English:
The phenomenon of (apparently) speaking in an unknown language, especially in religious worship. It is practised especially by Pentecostal and charismatic Christians.
- In charismatic Christian communities glossolalia is sacred and referred to as ‘speaking in tongues’ or having ‘the gift of tongues.’
- The soundtrack combines Pentecostal glossolalia (speaking in tongues) with recordings of unrestrained laughter.
- Pentecostalism takes its name from its central tenet of baptism in the Spirit and the associated experience of speaking in tongues or glossolalia.
- Example sentences
- It's definitely music, although occasionally glossolalic.
- The passage is a scathing criticism of the pentecostalist view of the glossolalic utterance.
- The issue largely depends on whether the oracle normally gave her responses in glossolalic or in intelligible speech.
Late 19th century: from Greek glōssa 'language, tongue' + lalia 'speech'.
Definition of glossolalia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.