Definition of glossolalia in English:
The phenomenon of (apparently) speaking in an unknown language, especially in religious worship. It is practised especially by Pentecostal and charismatic Christians.
- In charismatic Christian communities glossolalia is sacred and referred to as ‘speaking in tongues’ or having ‘the gift of tongues.’
- The soundtrack combines Pentecostal glossolalia (speaking in tongues) with recordings of unrestrained laughter.
- Pentecostalism takes its name from its central tenet of baptism in the Spirit and the associated experience of speaking in tongues or glossolalia.
late 19th century: from Greek glōssa 'language, tongue' + lalia 'speech'.
- Example sentences
- It's definitely music, although occasionally glossolalic.
- The passage is a scathing criticism of the pentecostalist view of the glossolalic utterance.
- The issue largely depends on whether the oracle normally gave her responses in glossolalic or in intelligible speech.
Definition of glossolalia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia