Definition of glottis in English:
The part of the larynx consisting of the vocal cords and the slit-like opening between them. It affects voice modulation through expansion or contraction.
- The extrinsic muscles of the larynx control the degree of tension on the vocal cords, and the intrinsic muscles regulate the glottis.
- It is possible that the ‘breath holding’ episodes the child exhibited previously were in fact intermittent and momentary obstruction of the glottis by the tonsil.
- During the compressive phase, the glottis is closed and the expiratory muscles start to contract.
- Example sentences
- Expiration is a passive recoil of lung and chest tissues and in the presence of glottic obstruction a dangerous cycle arises.
- A syndrome of airway swelling in the glottic and subglottic area of viral origin.
- If so, consider a posterior polyp that flops in and out of the glottic opening as the patient changes position.
Definition of glottis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan