- A tropical American plant with large, velvety, bell-shaped flowers.
More example sentences
- Genera Gloxinia and Sinningia, family Gesneriaceae: several species, in particular the florists' gloxinia (S. speciosa), which is a popular houseplant
- Some of my favorite windowsill plants include many varieties of trailing ivy, African violets, primroses, pansies and violets, geraniums, gloxinias, cyclamens, coleus, kalonchoes, peperomias, and heartleaf philodendrons.
- Usually a gloxinia can be kept as an indoor plant, but the ones from seed do not have the strength to grow another year.
- African violets, gloxinias and achimenes are beautiful when in bloom, but pretty dull otherwise.
modern Latin, named after Benjamin P. Gloxin, the 18th-century German botanist who first described it.
More definitions of gloxiniaDefinition of gloxinia in:
- The US English dictionary