adjective (glummer, glummest)
Looking or feeling dejected; morose: the princess looked glum but later cheered up
More example sentences
- What's the point in going out for a coffee if you're going to sit there all glum and miserable?
- He made a concerted effort to smile his way out of his understandably glum expression while I tried to say what I wanted to say in the right kind of way.
- After a minute he hung up the phone with a glum expression on his face and went back to driving meticulously.
gloomy, downcast, downhearted, dejected, disconsolate, dispirited, despondent, crestfallen, cast down, depressed, disappointed, disheartened, discouraged, demoralized, desolate, heavy-hearted, in low spirits, low-spirited, sad, unhappy, doleful, melancholy, miserable, woebegone, mournful, forlorn, long-faced, fed up, in the doldrums, wretched, lugubrious, morose, sepulchral, saturnine, dour, mirthless
- Example sentences
- Becky, the eldest, was staring glumly at her latest present.
- He plays with his Caesar salad, glumly spearing croutons or else sweeping one of those supremely talented hands through his heavy flick of a fringe.
- ‘Now all we have to do is find out way back out to the motorway again,’ Graham said, just a little glumly.
- Example sentences
- The findings of this study show a worrying trend towards glumness.
- There's relief in his voice, but glumness too, a result of his sudden homelessness and the loss of many of his belongings - clothes, furniture, even musical instruments.
- There are plenty of hackneyed truisms about ill-winds, silver-linings and darkness-before-dawns that can be tossed into the glumness.
Mid 16th century: related to dialect glum 'to frown', variant of gloom.
Words that rhyme with glumbecome, benumb, Brum, bum, chum, crumb, drum, gum, ho-hum, hum, Kara Kum, lum, mum, numb, plum, plumb, Rhum, rhumb, rum, scrum, scum, slum, some, strum, stum, succumb, sum, swum, thrum, thumb, tum, yum-yum
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.