- Each of two membranous bracts surrounding the spikelet of a grass (forming the husk of a cereal grain) or one surrounding the florets of a sedge.More example sentences
- Water potential differences between the flag leaf, glumes, stem and grain were maintained as the water stress increased further (data not shown).
- At the base of each spikelet, there is a pair of sterile glumes that surrounds a series of flowers (five to eight in number).
- It can infect leaves, sheaths, glumes, and awns.
late 18th century: from Latin gluma 'husk'.
More definitions of glumeDefinition of glume in:
- The US English dictionary