- A mixture of two proteins present in cereal grains, especially wheat, which is responsible for the elastic texture of dough.More example sentences
- Of all the gluten grains, wheat gluten has the highest gliadin content.
- In celiac disease, the immune system reacts to a protein called gluten found in wheat, barley or rye.
- Wheat, gluten, and other proteins in food may elicit allergic symptoms.
late 16th century (originally denoting protein from animal tissue): via French from Latin, literally 'glue'.
More definitions of glutenDefinition of gluten in:
- The US English dictionary