(also gluteus muscle)
noun (plural glutei /-tɪʌɪ/)
- Any of three muscles in each buttock which move the thigh, the largest of which is the gluteus maximus.More example sentences
- The strong muscles of the buttocks (glutei) span the hip joints, and are crucial to support and stability.
- The hamstring muscles on the back of the thigh work with your gluteus maximus during leg extension and knee flexion.
- The position of the legs - with the bottom tucked in - will develop the gluteus, adductors, and gastrocnemius muscles to name but a few.
late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek gloutos 'buttock'.
More definitions of gluteusDefinition of gluteus in:
- The US English dictionary