Definition of glutton in English:
1An excessively greedy eater.
- Not only does pushing and shoving seem undignified, but such behaviour immediately marks the offender as a greedy glutton who has not been able to enjoy the best.
- Surely gluttons shouldn't encourage overeating.
- They would have us believe that these tubes are just kinda put into the ducks mouths and these ducks are just happy gluttons swallowing it all down voluntarily.
1.1A person who is excessively fond of something: he’s a glutton for adventure
More example sentences
- He's a real terrier, a glutton for work, and has been very enthusiastic all season.
- Garnett has readily accepted the bait - he's a glutton for assuming responsibility - going so far as to deploy his now-infamous war armament analogy in explaining what he'll bring to tonight's contest.
- She is a glutton for experience and was soon experimenting with sex, drugs and books which reflected those concerns - Henry Miller, Marguerite Duras and the writers of the beat generation.
a glutton for punishment
- A person who is always eager to undertake hard or unpleasant tasks.Example sentences
- There are even do-it-yourself waxing kits, but unless you're a glutton for punishment, it's pretty hard to put yourself through such torture and it can get very messy.
- From fit 20-year-olds just hoping to drop the last five kilos to 60-year-olds wanting to stay in shape and challenge themselves, it seems there is no shortage of gluttons for punishment.
- We are obviously gluttons for punishment, as we decided to follow that up with a full-blown tour around the shops - we needed to buy a present for a friend, use some vouchers that we'd received as a present and Akra needed new slippers.
gluttonize (also gluttonise) verb
- Example sentences
- When this union is formed and a little lysin is added, the white corpuscles are induced to gluttonize again.
- When it came time to celebrate the Supper and to share the meal together the rich separated themselves from the poor, and gluttonised themselves on what they had brought for the meal.
- The first and eighth line reveals that a human heart is cruel and gluttonizes all materials without swallowing carefully.
Words that rhyme with gluttonbutton, Hutton, mutton
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.