A compound formed from a simple sugar and another compound by replacement of a hydroxyl group in the sugar molecule. Many drugs and poisons derived from plants are glycosides.
- Covalent bonds between the anomeric hydroxyl of a cyclic sugar and the hydroxyl of a second sugar (or another alcohol containing compound) are termed glycosidic bonds, and the resultant molecules are glycosides.
- Aloe emodin is found both free and as a glycoside in plants having increasing commercial importance, including aloe and senna.
- The sweet flavor usually indicates the presence of carbohydrates, proteins, various sugars and glycosides.
- Example sentences
- The linkage of two monosaccharides to form disaccharides involves a glycosidic bond.
- Similarly, large deforming forces are expected to act on the pyranose ring and the glycosidic linkage during various enzymatic processes.
- The enzymes catalyzing the initial step are glycosylases, which cleave the glycosidic bond between the base and its deoxyribose.
Late 19th century: from glyco- 'relating to sugar', on the pattern of glucoside.
Definition of glycoside in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.